April 29, 2014

I'm NOT Just A Number


           I'm Just A Number In P.S.

Matt Walsh is an amazing homeschool hero. He defends us and is helping society learn how we work. As he states "Maybe we should stop turning our kids into charts and bar graphs, and instead work on connecting with them as human beings." In public school you are a number. Maybe a few numbers. I was 602667. I was a bar code. I was the bar coded ID i was FORCED to wear around my neck; like a dog. "Please Identify yourself," the hall monitor would say. "Kayla Brown", I would state back. "What is your ID number", he would dull fully ask. "602667" I stated as he pulled out a notebook and wrote it down. This number is how I bought the dry almost inedible lunch, join clubs, play sports, be ALLOWED in the doors, and go to ANY classroom. They say that they used the number to keep us safe. "If you fall and get a concussion we have to ID you!" Yes, that is a good idea but the high school is so small that seriously EVERYONE knows EVERYONE. Also, We can't go to the NURSE without our ID. "Oh, you are vomiting all over the floor? Well you should have wore your ID. Go vomit in the bathroom." This is how we are defined. 


If you want to read more (I really think you should) Click Here
It is funny how Public School Lovers think of Us

No comments: